Saturday 11 October 2008

food & art

Today I went to West London's Kings Road to get some cupcakes at the market they have there every Saturday. Don't worry I'm not going all soft - they are for a far away friend.
The friendly people that make them go by the name of Crumbs & Doilies. They do some crazy ass cupcakes.
Seems they are popular as the racks were looking a little bare when I got there...


yum!yum!

Then I got myself a Chorizo sandwich. Damn that stuff is nice - with rocket and tomato sauce.

I got a lot of time for Chorizo sandwiches.

Right next to the market is The Saatchi Gallery. I've never been to it at this new(ish) location and it's free to get in. So in I went.
They are currently exhibiting a wide range of new work by Chinese artists. Most of it I found pretty stunning.






Now, check this next image. All of the rooms in the gallery are typical 4 white walls, but in gallery room 2 there was a gap in one of the corners. I wondered if the exhibition continued past this gap and round the corner or whether it was something like a staff entrance/store room etc. I soon realised it was nothing but a dead end as I watched someone else walk into it and immediately retreat. But as I stood there I noticed that people were continually doing this, some of them appraoching quite sheepishly, trying to look like they could style it out if they were wrong, others heading towards it very confidently as though they were a veteran gallery goer and of course it would lead somewhere.
So I took my camera out and for the next 5 minutes amused myself capturing this found art installation...

7 comments:

Keith Alan K said...

Fantastic Idea!
I love the results--you managed to catch people at that instant when they become disconcerted and their facade drops.

Mark SPLINTER said...

awesome dead end study :) i love human traffic.

Jeff Metal said...

Thanks! It was highly fascinating and amusing. If I was a famous artist this would be worth millions.

Cosmo said...

Crazy corner. Brilliant.

Anonymous said...

jeff!! _ genki?

now I live near the Kings Land road .
Where is the cupcake shop?(Broad way market?)

I love cupcake!! Yam Yam!!

Anonymous said...

sorry Its Mitsuki,

Jeff Metal said...

Mitsuki - The cupcakes can be found on Saturdays at the Partridges Food Market on the Kings Road, West London - not at all near the Kingsland road :)

See the website:

http://www.crumbsanddoilies.co.uk/market.html

See you around.