Thursday 18 September 2008

give blood

Today I went and gave blood. I have never done this before and it was only brought to my attention when my friend fell ill with Cancer. He worked his way through 100's of units of blood. If it wasn't for blood donors there is no way he would have had a chance of surviving.
I was surprised at how easy it is to go and give blood. I just looked up online a few days ago and saw that they set up a clinic every week locally to me. So I registered, clicked on an appointment slot and that was it, done.

So I took some pics of my donation. Some of you might be a little squeemish, but trust me, none of it hurts!

First up is to take a small sample to make sure my blood is real and not strawberry milk or ketchup.

It sinks, that's good apparently.

Then for the main donation. I'm about to fill this bag.

Needle goes in. Honestly, it doesn't hurt :)

Whoops spilled a bit. Haha.


Yea filling up nicely...

One bag of warm Jeff Metal blood. That will hopefully make a really tasty super shake for someone. Bit worried though that it looks BLACK. Oh well.

And that is that. All finished. They even give you drinks and snacks afterwards. One thing I wouldn't recommend is to go out drinking afterwards which is what I did. After losing 1 pint of blood you are more susceptible to getting drunk. After a couple of drinks I was out of it and had to be told off for throwing ice cubes across a table.

Anyway, I know I might sound like an advert, maybe so, but I do recommend it to everyone. It's so easy to go and do and you can help to change or even save peoples lives. DO IT!

http://www.blood.co.uk/

5 comments:

tob said...

good boy

mysteriousal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mysteriousal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mysteriousal said...

a song like a squealing pig.
like a train with wheels.
in the dark with the lights off. concealed.
im thinking of you still.
white room.
little legend.
fishman.
nike man.

S T A R S K I said...

that needle freakin me out too!
but you feel so good afterward rite!